Yet, by January of 1940 the Church was looking for another pastor. There is evidence in the minutes that Rev. E. G. Stephens had been called and accepted, but there is no evidence that he ever came as pastor. The April minutes read: "Motion by Mrs. W. C. Carter, seconded by Mrs. Ed Wood that Clerk write Rev. Stephens and ask Immediate reply if he is coming back or will call another pastor. Motion carried. "The Church operated with supply preachers until September 1940 when Sedley Entzminger became pastor.
Pledge cards were given to the members in August 1941. Bro May (pictured) explained that the card system was according to the church plan for systematically giving to church expenses, benevolences, and missions.
A Sunday School picnic was held August 22, 1941 at Rocky Water Camp. Games, swimming, general fellowship and a picnic supper were enjoyed. Also on August 31 members and friends of the Church participated in the observance of Homecoming Day. A total of 86 attended and a former pastor, J. R. Martin, was the speaker. Homecoming has been observed at different times of the year throughout the Church's history.
A motion was made and carried unanimously at the September 10, 1941 business meeting to elect R. H. Graham as a deacon. "Bro. May outlined the duties of a deacon and explained fully the qualifications as defined in the epistles to Timothy and Titus. Assisting Bro. May in the ordination service were Mr. Perley Webster and Mr. Hampton, Deacons, The First Baptist Church of Melbourne and Mr. E. P. Cook."
The above minutes show how the sister churches worked together in ordination services. Mr. Hampton was the husband of Eau Gallie member Merle Hampton and son, Michael Hampton. Interestingly, some years later R. H. Graham assisted in the ordination of Mr. Hampton's son, Michael.
There is evidence that the Church has provided Christmas candy boxes not only in 1941 but for most years. The Sunday school has been responsible through the years for this Christmas activity.
In March 1942 E. Forrest May resigned as pastor and his brother, Robert Gerald May was called as pastor for a period of three months. A new roof was needed and efforts to accomplish same were put forth at the same business meeting. According to Mr. R Graham the old church had a wood shingle roof. They were now going to put a metal roof in its place. This would require wood strips. These strips were secured from Ken Sawyer who had a saw mill on the southwest earner of Croton and Aurora. The Church also voted at the same meeting to cut and remove certain oak trees that were damaging the roof. Rev. W. B. Hyzer was invited to fill the pulpit on the fifth Sunday, March 29th.
Robert Gerald May was licensed to preach on November 30, 1941 and ordained to the Gospel Ministry on March 11, 1942. The presbytery was composed of messengers from several churches and deacons, Mr. McCullough, Mr. Cook and Mr. Graham. The ordination sermon was preached by the Rev. David H. Sperring of the Oak Hill Baptist Ch6rch. Presentation of the Bible was by Mr. R. H. Graham. Rev. E. Forrest May gave the charge to the Church. A note in the April 1, 1942 minutes reads: *A motion was made and carries authorizing Church Treasurer to pay Kempfer's a sum of $1.35 to cover various small items purchased for church use (grape juice, kerosene, polish)." Also at the same meeting Mrs. Stewart suggested that a poster or honor roll be devised showing the names of the boys in armed service, the list to include not only church members, but those whose parents were members. The suggestion was heartily approved and a motion carried to implement the suggestion.
Rev. H. J. Killebrew was called as pastor on July 18, 1943 and actually began his ministry on August 8, 1943. During this time the Church voted to order 50 Broadman Hymnals, begin paying $25.00 toward the support of the Indian River Baptist Association missionary, and place a Church Covenant in the church. Bro. Killebrew resigned on June 14, 1944.
Rev. C. E. Almand was called as pastor on August 2, 1944. He lived in an apartment in back of the church. He was employed at the Banana River Naval Air Station and served the Church as pastor.
The deacons ware actively involved in the entire program of the Church. They recommended to the Church in the Saptambar 27, 1944 business meeting that a Brotherhood be organized and that the possibility of placing the Baptist Witness in every home of the church membership be studied. They also recommended that cards be sent to all members of the Church requesting their attendance. The matter of entering into a Ministers' Retirement Plan was also discussed.
Church Covenants were ordered and a copy given to each member of the Church. Also on October 15, 1944 Brother Almand appointed Mrs. Cook, Mrs. Jones and Mrs. Jack Bell to buy blankets for the parsonage which really was an apartment in the back of the church.
A religious census was taken in November 1944 in cooperation with the Methodist church. They also held a joint Thanksgiving service.
Homecoming Day has been held at different times. The deacons recommended on November 29, 1944 that Homecoming Day be held on January 7, 1945. They also requested the clerk to write letters to former members, inactive members, as well as pastors of Melbourne and Cocoa inviting them to attend.
Some very interesting things appear in the January 3, 1945 minutes. A motion was made and carried to pay $1.50 per week for cleaning of the church. A committee was appointed comprised of Bro. Hart, Bro. Almand and Mr. Bell to investigate purchasing the Clyde Roesch property or any other local property for sale for its taxes.
Also in January a special dedication service was held dedicating the Honor Roll of Service Men. A season of prayer accompanied the dedication. Dr. B. C. Land was invited to hold a week of Stewardship Emphasis, but could not attend. A goal of 50 baptisms was set for the Centennial Crusade.
Pastor C. E. Almand resigned April 25, 1945.
The next pastorate was that of Dr. R. C. Kanne who was called July 22, 1945 to serve an indefinite period with a 30 day’s notice for resignation. Brother Kanne was legally blind and could barely see. He preached from a Braille Bible. He became married while pastor at Eau Gallie and R. H. Graham was his best man.
Work among the Indians was given financial support during this time period. The bulletin board which stood outside the church was repaired. It had changeable letters and faced Highland as did the church. A special offering was taken on fifth Sundays to be given for the support of missions. It was decided that the Church have dinner on the ground every fifth Sunday as well.
It was decided at the February 27, 1946 business meeting to hold Vacation Bible School in the spring rather than in late summer.
No mention is made later about the change, but the record shows 85 enrolled with an average attendance of 66 which was one of the larger schools up until that time. The reasoning behind changing the time of VBS was that better results could be obtained and supplies could more easily be secured.
During this era the Church minutes show that stoves were frequently purchased for the church and apartment for heating purposes. It seems that the congregation was seeking for better ways to keep warm in the winter. At the May 1, 1946 business meeting it was voted to increase Bro. Kanne's salary to $35.00 per week. Also in May the electric wires in the church were examined and found in need of replacement. Authorization for rewiring was given. A Brother Strum supplied for Dr. Kanne during the month of August. Birthday offerings were regularly taken and sent to the orphanage. The records show that there was an Extension Department and Cradle Roll Department in 1946.
The minutes of the Indian River Baptist Association show that Dr. R. C. Kanne served on a committee of the Indian River Baptist Association to consider the application of West Side Baptist Church of Ft. Pierce for membership in the Association. At the November 8, 1946 meeting of the Association Dr. Kanne read Psalm One and led in prayer. The Association minutes also state: "The Braille Baptist a new publication of the Sunday School Board was introduced by Dr. R. C. Kanne. Be offered free help to the blind in our Association in the use of this new publication, to show any blind person how to read the Braille."
A letter from the Sunday School Department of the Florida Baptist Convention dated October 1, 1946 was sent to Mrs. E. A. M. Stewart. It read: "Let me congratulate you on having a standard Sunday School at Eau Gallie and let me also urge you to hold the standard as well as attain it. One of the greatest helps that has been to the Sunday Schools in Florida have been those who not only attained it, but have maintained it. Let us here in the state department congratulate you heartily for the good work you have done. Your sincere friend, Thos. H. Collins" During Dr. Kanne's pastorate he introduced the concept of a Fellowship Associate Membership for winter visitors and vacationers to Eau Gallie. The person must hold membership in a Christian church and while in Eau Gallie could be a part of the Church in everything except voting and holding office. This was approved in January 1947, but was some time later rescinded.
On January 29, 1947 the Church voted to proceed with the building A total of $70.00 was subscribed for the parsonage fund.
Again in February the matter of the parsonage was discussed and it was agreed that a building fund of one thousand dollars should be raised before the work was started. At this point $385.00 had been raised. A barometer was placed in the church to show the progress of the building fund.
Dr. Kanne resigned in July 1948 after serving as pastor for almost 3-1/2 years. The minutes of July 28, 1948 read as follows:
"The church gave Rev. and Mrs. Kanne a rising vote of thanks for the friendship and help they have given us while they have been here. Mrs. Kanne was given a rising vote of thanks for her splendid job of keeping the church yard."
Rev. D. W. Griffin was called as pastor October 31, 1948 and began in December 1948. Evidently the parsonage was finished between August and December 1948 and Brother Griffin was the first pastor to occupy it. There is no record of a dedication service for the parsonage as the Church was hurrying to move the new pastor into it.
The new pastor wasted no time in promoting his ideas through the deacons as the minutes of December 8, 1948 list the following recommendations from the deacons:
1. Pastor's study to be moved
2. Provide a nursery
3. Organize a Brotherhood
4. Have a revival soon
5. Appoint a junior deacon board
6. Organize a young married couples' Sunday School class
7. Have a weekly choir practice
8. Use junior deacons as ushers
9. Relief and annuity for retired ministers
10. Financing the church
a. The Pastor's salary be set at $100.00 per month
b. That 10% of 5100.00 be kept in treasury for incidentals
c. That 70% over $100.00 per month be a supplement to pastor's salary until such a time as offering exceeds a liveable salary and then a new salary be set and that the remaining 10% be held in incidental fund.
At the next business meeting the matter of junior deacons was tabled.
The January Bible Study book for 1949 was the Gospel of John.
The budget for 1949 reads as follows:
Pastor's Salary $35.00 per week
Church Expenses l0.00 per week
Cooperative Program 5.00 per week
Rev. D. W. Griffin resigned November 27, 1949. There were many expressions of regret and appreciation for Bro. Griffin's ministry.
December 4, 1949 saw the call of Rev. J. D. Hartsfield of Fellsmere, Florida as pastor. He was interviewed and accepted the call with plans to come as soon as he was relieved from his other church.